The Tower of Eamon
|The Tower of Eamon|
|◄Eamon adventure #279►|
|Native format||PC DOS (Eamon Deluxe)|
|File||Eamon 279 - The Tower of Eamon.zip|
The Tower of Eamon resulted from a design contest announced by Black in the March 2013 issue of the Eamon Deluxe Newsletter. The contest asked participants to submit a small set of about 10 rooms (with descriptions, connections, artifacts, monsters, etc.) with the intention of combining all the submissions together to form a single, collaborative piece in the style of an exquisite corpse. Each submission was to represent one level in a tall tower and had to include a staircase so it could connect to the other sections.
Black and Ferguson built levels for the tower but no other submissions were received and the project remained incomplete for several years. Ultimately in 2021 Ferguson ported the tower along with some staircase descriptions provided by Williams to Eamon Remastered and Eamon CS and submitted them to Keith Dechant and Michael Penner for inclusion in their adventure libraries. Eamon CS formally added The Tower of Eamon on 28 July 2022.
The adventure's brief introduction establishes the premise:
You have once again been summoned by the Three Emperors to the Wonderful World of Eamon. This time your mission is to expose the secret plans being made by The Underground Villains Club within the mystical Tower of Eamon.
- The Underground Villains Club Yearbook '68 includes an entry for "The Great Norzap", a villainous wizard who features in the 1987 Imagery! adventure Beneath Mount Imagery by Roy Riggs. The caption includes thanks to Izurath (from The Wizard's Tower), Zenoqq (from The Domain of Zenoqq), and the Choom Gang.
- Black remarks that the doughnut in the tower was dropped by someone "who had just returned from pillaging the Magic Kingdom"; a doughnut is an artifact the adventurer can collect in the Chocolate Room in The Magic Kingdom.
- The fancy brass lamp is described as originating in Colossal Cave Adventure.
- The research assistant in the lab carries a bunsen burner "rumored to have been smuggled from the research arm of the Temple of Ngurct". The adventure The Temple of Ngurct by James and Robert Plamondon was released in 1982.
- The worn paperback contains the novels Speed and Kentucky Ham by William S. Burroughs, Jr.
- Mercutio Mouse is depicted as the brother of Disney's Mickey Mouse.
- The adventurer assumes the (supposed) mimic statue was once an exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in Evenhold, and believes it would be of interest to the Cryptozoology Department at Eamon University.
- The Sandman's weapon, a Lanstian xiphos, is described as a weapon "carried by hoplites of the lost Lanstian civilization during the Lanst-Ervuolian War millennia ago". Lanst was first mentioned in the adventure Caverns of Lanst by Rick Volberding, and Ervuol in Lotto's Masterpiece by Henry Haskell.
- The Interactive Fiction Database: The Tower of Eamon
- Interactive Fiction Reviews: The Tower of Eamon