The Pirate's Cave
|The Pirate's Cave|
|◄Eamon adventure #216►|
|Revised||6 January 1992|
|EDX set||Classic Eamon Adventures, Vol. 3|
|Native format||Apple DOS 3.3|
The Pirate's Cave is an Eamon adventure written by Margaret Anderson.
Like Treasure Island, Anderson wrote this adventure for the enjoyment of her eight-year-old nephew and geared the descriptions and puzzles to players of that age. Its release was announced in the March 1992 issue of the Eamon Adventurer's Guild Newsletter.
From the introduction:
Dirty Dick is the meanest pirate there ever was. He and his crew have kidnapped Prince Charlie.
Dirty Dick and his crew left their ship at the pirate cave and went to town. You think it is a good time to check the cave and see if you can find Prince Charlie. There are also a lot of treasures in the cave. Good luck.
You begin on a beach on the southern shore of the island, with the loyal dog Toby as your companion. To the west is your way back to the Main Hall by boat; to the north a cave, and to the south a pier where the pirates' ship is docked.
- Go south and board the ship.
- Climb to the crow's nest and collect the rusty key.
- Descend into the hold,
OPENthe chest, and find Dirty Dick's pistol.
- Return to the beach and head north to the cave entrance.
- In the cave entrance are exits leading west, north, and east. Start with the west door, which you can open with the rusty key from the ship.
- You find yourself in Dirty Dick's personal chambers. Collect the flashlight in the main room, some medicine in the painted bedroom to the north, and a ransom note and iron key in Dirty Dick's study to the west. Return to the entrance.
- Go north and follow the dusty tunnel east. Halfway along is a side-chamber populated with rats containing a chest you can unlock with the iron key; inside is a fancy key.
- Continue down the dusty tunnel until you emerge into a cave room, then go east into a dungeon where you'll find Prince Charlie being guarded by a troll. Defeat the troll and
- Return to the cave room, step west into a wooden tunnel, then go south to find a rickety stairway — follow it down.
- You're at the bottom of the stairway but it's too dark to see, so
light flashlight. Go north and battle a troll guard.
- Go west along the damp tunnel, then north to reach an iron door which you can open with the fancy key. In the dungeon beyond are friendly allies Hector and Nick, plus a steel key.
- Return to the damp tunnel and go west to the bottom of a flight of stairs.
- Climb the stairs all the way to the top and defeat the two giant lizards waiting there.
- Check out the side chambers: in the big room to the north is a pile of money; in the closet to the west is a golden ring.
- Follow the hallway south and east until you reach a steel door. Open it with the steel key and help yourself to the contents of Dirty Dick's treasure room.
- Return to the tunnel and go north, battle a giant spider, then continue following the tunnel until you reach a small room with a ladder. Climb down it to return to the main level.
To leave the cave, take the wooden tunnel south, then west, then north to reach the stair room, then exit west to the entrance chamber and return to the beach. Go west to board your board and sail for home with Prince Charlie.
- The Queen's diamond necklace, held in the pirates' treasure room, is mentioned in Black Mountain and is one of the lost items she offers a reward for. In Redemption the Queen is said to be upset at the loss of the necklace.
- Eamon Adventurer's Guild Library Master List
- The Interactive Fiction Database: The Pirate's Cave
- Interactive Fiction Reviews: The Pirate's Cave