A beginner is a novice adventurer with little or no combat experience. Donald Brown defines a beginner in his Eamon Players Manual as "someone who has no armor expertise and who still has all of the starting levels of weapon expertise." SwordThrust considers an adventurer a beginner if the sum of his weapon abilities and armor expertise is less than 36.
Some adventures are designed for beginner characters and may bar experienced adventurers from entering. Beginner adventures include:
- The Beginners Cave by Donald Brown
- Alternate Beginners Cave by Rick Volberding
- Beginner's Forest by Margaret Anderson
- Beginner's Cave II by John Nelson
- Amateur Alley by John Nelson
- The King's Testing Ground by Donald Brown