Source:The Temple of Dread Instructions
|This page is a verbatim reproduction of original source material and should not be edited except for maintenance.|
Instructions for the adventure game The Temple of Dread, version 5.0.
Assembled from multiple AppleWorks Word Processor files present on the original game diskette: AW.INSTRUCTIONS, MASTER.HINTS, and TEMPLE.ITEMS
The use of this item is permitted and constitutes fair use on the grounds that it's free or in the public domain.
"Welcome, brave adventurer. Our village of Griffinville has suffered many a blow from robbers and bandits. The situation has grown dire. Only a small handfull of food and supplies has been able to reach us.
"It is said that the bandits are led by a mysterious Wizard and that his armies dwell within a ruined temple five days to the north.
"Our finest fighters, led by a strong Swordsman named Thanos set out to explore this temple and never returned...
"We have heard of your heroic deeds and now that you have arrived we once again have hope. Every day the situation grows worse.
"Go to Blackhawk's and buy supplies. We will give you 450 coins and tomorrow our guides will take you to the temple to begin your quest. Farewell, and the best of luck."
Mayor of Griffinville
Ruler of Saxavania
The Temple of Dread uses an Eamon-style interface. You enter certain commands like
TALK. If the program doesn't know the command then it will respond with a list of the ones it does. Entering
<Return> will repeat your last command.
When you enter a room and there is somebody else enter
TALK (or just
T) and the person will ask if you are "friend or foe" then they will ask to join you. Beware! Not all people are as noble as thee and some will stab you in the back when you are not looking.
There are two sets of commands. The first are the adventure commands, used while wandering the dungeons. Adventure commands may be abbreviated. The second are the combat commands. Combat commands have no abbreviations.
- Attack another character. May be abbreviated to
- Some doors will prove to be uncooperative. This attempts to bash these doors open. May be abbreviated to
- Descend to another dungeon level. May be abbreviated to
- Drop an unwanted item. May be abbreviated to
- Travel east. May be abbreviated to
- Get an item in a room. May be abbreviated to
- Light a torch or lantern. You'll need a tinder box to strike the spark. May be abbreviated to
- Check a room for any items you may have dropped in it. May be abbreviated to
- Travel North. May be abbreviated to
- Attempt to pick the locks of unbreakable doors. Requires a lot of experience. May be abbreviated to
- Return to main menu. (From the main menu you can exit to ProDOS.) May be abbreviated to
- Search a room for hidden items. May be abbreviated to
- Travel south. May be abbreviated to
- Talk to people you meet in the dungeons. May be abbreviated to
- Put out your lantern or torch. For those who like to stumble about in a dark dungeon. May be abbreviated to
- Take a look at your character's vital stats, items, armor, and equipment. Entering <Escape> will exit from any view menu. May be abbreviated to
- Travel west. May be abbreviated to
- Say "HELP" or "GREAT GAME" or whatever you wish. Good for relieving tension after combat. May be abbreviated to
- Resume a saved game. May be abbreviated to
- Save your current position. May be abbreviated to
- Update your character file so that you may keep items you have found when you start a new adventure. May be abbreviated to
- Pass time and heal wounds. May be abbreviated to
- Stop beating around the bush and start beating up on foes.
- Attempt to flee from battle. Success is determined by the difference in dexterity by your character and the monster.
- Exchange insults with your enemies.
Hint sheet (uncoded)
How to use this:
The following clues are presented with a simple code. To get the answer, write down the letter which comes before the letter in the code. i.e. B would become A, C would become B and A would become Z. Words in quote marks indicate a command to type. "ATTACK" THE WHALE would mean to type "ATTACK" when you are near a whale.
An example hint:
How do I kill the grue?
1) ZPV DBO'U
This would translate to: YOU CAN'T
The doors won't open!
- YOU COULD TRY "PICKLOCK".
- I GUESS YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO BASH THEM DOWN.
What are these rings on the wall?
- A HINT FOR YOU TO INVESTIGATE.
- USE THE "SEARCH" COMMAND.
What do I do with Rebbatskcab?
- YOU COULD "TALK" TO HIM.
- YOU COULD ASK HIM TO JOIN YOU.
That lousy Thief killed me!
- REMEMBER: NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE AS NOBLE AS THEE.
- WHEN HE IS NEAR YOU, "ATTACK" HIM.
My abilities suddenly decreased!
- EXAMINE YOU'RE EQUIPMENT INVENTORY.
- ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD...
- THE GOLD BOX WAS CURSED.
My dexterity suddenly increased!
- YOU HAVE FOUND A CLOAK OF DEXTERITY!
- DON'T EVER DROP IT, THOUGH.
Who is "Thanos"?
- DIDN'T YOU READ THE INTRO STORY?
- THANOS WAS SENT BY THE TOWN TO FIND & DESTROY THE BANDITS.
How do I keep from imploding?
- YOU'LL NEED THE FROZEN JELLO BLOCK.
- YOU'LL ALSO NEED THE DEAD RAT AND THE GOLD WATCH.
- BUT MOSTLY, YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW THAT HINT BROWSING IS A CAPITAL OFFENSE IN SAXAVANIA!
It is too dark!
- DO YOU HAVE A TORCH?
- DO YOU HAVE A LANTERN AND TINDER BOX?
I'm stuck with no place to go!
- "SEARCH" IN THE OLD LIBRARY.
I turned to stone!
- YOU SHOULD BE MORE VAIN.
- BUY SOME NEW EQUIPMENT.
- SPECIFICALLY A MIRROR.
Can I trust Tiffany?
- SHE WILL BE YOUR FRIEND.
- IF YOU "ATTACK" HER, YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE!
What about Oremm?
- THAT'S YOUR DECISION.
What about Thanos?
- REMEMBER WHAT HE'S DONE TO ALL THESE MONSTERS...
- HE'S DEFINITELY ON YOUR SIDE.
What about Morlock?
- HE IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- HE'LL SHOW YOU THE SECRET PASSAGE TO PANGEA.
- THEN HE'LL LAUGH AT YOU FOR READING FAKE HINTS.
Where is Oremm's "secret chambers"?
- "SEARCH" FOR PASSAGES IN EVERY ROOM.
- IT IS EAST FROM THANOS' CELL.
Should I drink the potion?
- IT COULD BE DANGEROUS...
- BUT IT ISN'T.
- IN FACT, IT IS VERY GOOD.
I'm getting beaten up around every turn!
- LOOK FOR MAGIC WEAPONS AND ARMOR.
- PARTICULARLY THE SWORD IN THE MUMMY ROOM...
- AND THE BOOTS IN THE VAMPIRE ROOM...
- AND THE ARMOR IN TROLL ROOM.
What about the mummy?
- HE HATES FIGHTING.
- TRY "TALK"ING TO HIM.
- YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO FIGHT IT OUT.
What about the underground stream?
- IGNORE IT. IT IS UNIMPORTANT.
How do I help the old Dwarf?
- HE IS BEYOND HELP.
I killed Gandor's bodyguard, but I can't follow him!
- HE HAS SEALED THE SOUTH PASSAGE.
- YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER PASSAGE.
The bandit guards slaughter me.
- THEY SAID THEY WOULD.
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SWORD +5, MAGIC ARMOR, AND BOOTS OF SPEED
- YOU'LL ALSO NEED ABOUT 300 HIT POINTS.
Should I drink the potion?
- IT MIGHT BE A DEADLY POISON!
- "SAVE", THEN TRY IT.
The door(s) won't open!
- DO YOU HAVE HIGH EXPERIENCE?
- THEN TRY "PICKLOCK"
There sure are a lot of goblins down here!
What do I do with all this $$$$?
- RETIRE IN LUXURY OR...
- BUY STAMPS AND WRITE TO SOFTDISK, DEMANDING A TEMPLE OF DREAD PART TWO!
Tiffany got killed!
- "ATTACK" OREMM BEFORE FACING GANDOR.
Items bought at Blackhawke's Armoury:
(01) Leather(02) Chain Mail
(03) Plate Mail(04) Shield
(05) Axe(06) Club
(07) Dagger(08) Hammer
(09) Mace(10) Short Sword
(12) Large Sack(13) Small Sack
(14) Backpack(15) Lantern
(16) Mirror(17) Pouch
(18) Tinder Box(19) Torch
(20) Holy Symbol
Items hidden throughout the temple:
|Item name||Level||Room #|
|(24) Cursed Box||Temple||11|
|(25) Sword +1||Dungeon 1||19|
|(26) Sword +5||Dungeon 1||29|
|(27) Staff||Dungeon 1||16|
|(28) Potion of Str.||Dungeon 1||45|
|(29) Gold Chalice||Dungeon 1||13|
|(30) Magic Armor||Dungeon 1||42|
|(31) Medallion||Dungeon 1||27|
|(32) Boots of Speed||Dungeon 1||35|
|(33) Potion||Dungeon 2||32|
* – Those items underlined are magical and have either positive or negative effects upon the character's abilities.
|Monster name||Level||Room #|
|(1) Dwarves||Dungeon 1||30|
|(2) A Ghoul||Dungeon 1||19|
|(3) A Stone Giant||Dungeon 2||24|
|(4) Bandits||Dungeon 1||12|
|(5) A Mummy||Dungeon 1||29|
|(6) An Ogre||Dungeon 2||13|
|(7) A Troll||Dungeon 1||42|
|(8) Zombies||Dungeon 1||32|
|(9) Guards||Dungeon 2||28|
|(10) Giant Spider||Dungeon 1||2|
|(11) A Vampire||Dungeon 1||35|
- Goblins — Goblins are found in Temple room #9; in Dungeon 1 room #44; and in Dungeon 2 room #s 1, 9, 16, 17, and 19.
- Basilisk — A Basilisk is found in Dungeon 1 room #27. It is a circumstantial monster and you can't fight the Basilisk. The only way to survive is if your character possesses a mirror. The mirror will cause the monster to turn itself to stone.
|Rebbatskcab||Thief||*1||Temple, room #16|
|Tiffany||Cleric||Yes||Dungeon 1, room #13|
|Oremm||Mage||*2||Dungeon 1, room #31|
|Thanos||Fighter||Yes||Dungeon 1, room #38|
*1 – Rebbatskcab (spell it backwards and get "Backstabber") will pretend to join and be a friend. If you try to leave room #16 with him he will kill and rob you.
*2 – Oremm will stay with you and direct you to his potion room (Dungeon 1, #45) if you help him find his hidden den (Dungeon 1, #41). He is a servant of Gandor, but was chained up by the bandits. He is very bitter about this and will happily watch you slay anybody except his master.
If you kill Gandor and the Cleric is with you, Oremm will kill the Cleric. If you kill Gandor and the Cleric is not with you, Oremm will wander off muttering to himself. Other than this, the Mage is mostly harmless.
To finish Temple of Dread, you must make your way to Dungeon 2, room #40 and
CLIMB STAIRS. You will then see the ending. There are several possible endings, depending upon which (if any) NPCs are with you. In each, however, you still win.
The doors in Dungeon 2, rooms #28, 29, 38, and 39 can only be opened by a
PICKLOCK command, which requires a fairly high experience. The Secret door in Dungeon 2, room #27 can only be found by a character of fairly high experience.